Tuesday, March 10, 2015

DIY: Upholster an Old Chair

Hello There! Today I wanted to show everyone the awesome new chair I created with only a couple of tools and a little material I bought from Walmart.
 
For this project I borrowed 1 tool from my parents, and the rest I had at home. I used a drill, hammer, staple gun, and material I bought from Walmart(only $7.24)!



I will lay out the directions in steps:
 
Step 1: Turn chair over and drill out screws that hold the seat to the chair. Take the seat and set it to the side. It will look like this once you do this step.

Step 2: Measure out the fabric (I just guessed) and cut enough material to cover the back side of the seat so that none of the old seat color shows. You will need someone to help you pull the fabric tight while someone else staples it. As you can see, the yellow color is the old fabric and the chevron is the new! All you do is just staple all the way around the back of the chair. I would put a staple in almost every inch around the entire backside. So one staple, then another inch you would put another staple in and so on. Also, Make sure to do the corners last! If the staples don't go all the way in you can hammer them in the rest of the way.
 
 
 Step 3:Reattach the seats to the chairs. Turn the legs of the chair upside down on a table and place the upholstered seat in it and begin drilling the screws back in. My end product looked like this:
 
This was such a fun project and it was easy!!! I was sort of scared of the staple gun, but it wasn't bad at all! The best part of this project is that I basically have a new chair that only cost me $7.24!! How awesome!
 
Here is the before and after pic:
 
 
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!! : )
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment